Congrats on your new theme! You’ve made a great choice, and we’re sure you’ll be happy with this theme.
Waverly is a Block theme, meaning the entire site’s layout and look is under your control. It’s a site builder built right into WordPress.
Installing Waverly for the first time? Head over to our Getting Started page, where you’ll find detailed instructions on how to do that.
Setting up your homepage
Waverly offers three pre-built templates for your homepage: Shop (to be used in combination with WooCommerce), Business and Blog. These are just starting points, so be sure to change things up to suit your own content. And, of course, you can always build your page using the various pattern included or come up with your own design.
Step 1 – Creating a homepage and adding content
Starting from a brand new page
1. From your dashboard, click on Pages > Add New.
- Once in the editor, you will get a popup offering several choices for a full-page template. Select the one you want and click on it. This will insert the entire pattern into your page.
- Next, add your page’s title.
- Update your content as needed. Then once you’re ready, hit the publish button. You can also save it as a draft and come back to it later.
Starting from an already existing page
If you are starting from an already created page, you won’t get the pop-up. Here’s how to get things set up:
- Start by clicking on the top left blue plus button .
- Next, select Patterns, and then hit the Explore button. This will bring up the pattern library.
- Select Full Page Pattern from the pattern category list. Once you’ve found the pattern you want to use, simply click on it.
4. If you haven’t already, add your page title.
- Update your content as needed, then hit the Publish button once you’re ready. You can also save it as a draft and come back to it later.
Step 2 – Setting your page as your homepage
Once you’ve got all your content ready, you have one more step before your page is shared on your site as the homepage.
1. From your dashboard, head to Settings > Reading.
2. In the top section of the page where it says Your homepage displays, select the “A static page” radio button.
3. Next to the “Homepage” drop-down, select the page you just created in the previous step. If you have a blog page, you can set that here too.
4. Hit the Save Changes button at the bottom of the page.
Setting up your site header
Adding a navigation (video)
With the new site editor, adding your site’s navigation is done directly in the template editor.
💥 Sanity Tip
It’s sometimes hard to click around in the tiny navigation box. We highly recommend using the List View menu button on the top left for an easier experience. You can more easily select all your header items. We also recommend using the list menu when setting up regular pages.
Setting up your site logo (video)
Waverly has a spot to show your logo in both the default header and footer.
Waverly comes bundled with almost 40 patterns. The patterns will allow you to insert content into your pages with just a few clicks.
Not sure what a pattern is? Check out this handy guide.
- Start by creating a new page. From your dashboard, click Pages > Add new.
- Next, add a title.
- From the top-left menu, click the blue sign.
- Under the search box, click the Patterns menu, then Explore.
- From here, you can select the pattern category from the list on the left.
- Scroll through the patterns until you see one you’d like to use.
- Once you’ve found the right one, click on the pattern to insert it into your page. The pop-up will automatically close and bring you back to the editor.
- You can now modify each pattern’s content and layout to fit your site and content perfectly.
Changing Waverly’s Colours
Our documentation is a work in progress!
We’re adding new things weekly. Need to know how to do something now? Send us a message. We’ll be happy to walk through it!